Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Do you like Yelp?

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Unvarnished-Job-Interview-Online-Profile-Facebook,news-6319.html

Hows this for a barrel of worms, a site like Yelp that rates... us
This is designed to allow your coworkers and colleagues to post reviews of you as a professional. There is no ability to remove negative reviews unless they are obviously erroneous as the site defines it.
Personally I think this is a really bad idea, but I have a feeling that will not stop HR managers from using it to evaluate you. It does make me feel a lot more sympathetic to claims that yelp is basically an exploitative business model based on blackmail. As a professional I think I'll be forced to buy my unvarnished profile even though I don't want to support this.
I don't like the inability to delete reviews, and I wonder how they will verify someone actually works with you? I do see this making things even more political in corporate america, which I don't think is a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment